Friday, January 20, 2017

This week's lesson (January 14-20): the Divinity of the Holy Spirit Spirit

Something will go wrong.

And someone will be there to help.

That's the advice on travel I got from Rick Steves' radio program . . .

And that's pretty much what Jesus says in John 14-17.

Anytime I'm on the road, after all, there's always a glitch -- yes, wallets go missing, flights get delayed, reservations are made for the wrong week. This used to frustrate me; I used to believe that proper planning would ensure a perfect trip . . . but now, I just take it in stride. (Mostly.) "Something's gone wrong," I tell myself, "and that means . . . "

Sure enough, somebody's always there to help. Could be my wife. Could be a clerk. Could be the stranger who stops what they're doing to ask if I need help (and it's amazing how often that happens).

But when things go wrong (as they always do), both Rick Steves and John 14-17 have always been right: I've never had to deal with it on my own.

That's why the doctrine of the Holy Spirit is important.

That's why the divinity of the Holy Spirit is important.

You see, we know that things go wrong.

But as believers, we also know that Somone's always there to help.




No comments: