Thursday, August 11, 2016

This week's lesson (August 6-12): Jesus desired their good

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. -- I Corinthians 13:12f, NIV
Some people just don't get it.

Take George Washington -- an admirable man in many ways. Brave. Loyal. Generous.

But when it came to African-Americans, he had a horrible blind-spot.

No, when he looked at African-Americans, all he saw were slaves.

Likewise, Mark 8:22-38 tells the story of two men who don't get it:
  • The first is a blind man at Bethsaida; the second is Peter.
  • The first is healed physically, while Peter is healed spiritually.
  • But the first sees men "as trees walking," while Peter "sees" that Jesus is the Christ . . . but has no idea what that means.
In short, they both "saw."
But neither understood what was right there in front of their eyes . . . 
Kind of like George Washington.
But in Washington's case, understanding came when he saw African-American troops from Rhode Island -- African-American troops who taught him to see them as men.
Likewise, Jesus kept working with the blind man of Bethsaida.
Jesus kept working with Peter.
And when I get discouraged by how slow my church is to "see" things that are perfectly obvious to me . . . 
Or when I get discouraged by how long it took me to "see" things that are perfectly obvious to those around me . . . 
Then I remember that Jesus keeps working with us.
Even when we don't get it.


No comments: