Sunday, July 17, 2016

This week's lesson (July 16-22): Justice and Mercy in the Old Testament (part two)

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -- Micah 6:8, KJV
I love this verse -- just so long as I remember the "and."
Justice without mercy is nothing more than vengeance, after all -- and if we all got what we deserved, then who of us would escape.
But mercy without justice? I've been in classrooms where that happened -- classrooms where any and all behavior was excused . . . and I've no desire to repeat the experience.
Take away the "walk with God," on the other hand, and both justice and mercy become legalism . . . while a "walk with God" that lacks justice and mercy becomes a study in irrelevance.
No, I need all three: justice AND mercy AND a humble walk with God.
But to practice all three, I need the "and."

No comments: