Monday, September 21, 2015

This week's lesson (September 19-25): Must the whole world hear?

In that day, there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria. The Assyrians will go to Egypt and the Egyptians to Assyria. In that day Israel will be the third, along with Egypt and Assyria, a blessing on the earth. The LORD Almighty will bless them, saying, "Blessed be Egypt my people, Assyria my handiwork, and Israel my inheritance." -- Isaiah 19:23-25, NIV.
So how does God save other people?

You know -- people other than me?

I know that I'm a sinner, after all -- and I suspect I'm not the only one.

(And that knocks on the head any idea that people can be saved "if they live up to the light they have." I mean, I don't live up to the light I have -- and if God can save me regardless, then why should they be any different?)

What's more, Christ's prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane suggests that his death was necessary for my salvation -- that if there was any other way to save me, then God would have done it that way.

(And if that's true of me, then why should it be different for anyone else?)

But if God can save me -- me with all my faults, all my sins, all my blindspots, all my patches of ignorance that all of eternity will not be able to erase . . .

Yes, if God can save me . . .

Then who am I to complain if He saves somebody else?

No comments: