Sunday, May 17, 2015

This week's lesson (May 16-22): the mission of Jesus

. . . This is what the Sovereign LORD says: "I will gather you from the nations and bring you back from the countries where you have been scattered, and I will give you back the land of Israel again. They will return to it and remove all its vile images and detestable idols. I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. Then they will follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. They will be my people, and I will be their God." -- Ezekiel 11:17-20, NIV
And behold . . . 
A shepherd did have a hundred sheep, but one of them was lost. So he did lay out money for a team of professional sheep search-and-rescue personnel, and they did find the sheep that was lost, and they did bring it back to the shepherd, and great was the rejoicing of one and all . . . but soon after that, the shepherd lost it again.

And behold . . . 
A woman had ten silver coins, but lost one inside her house. So she did go outside the house, and did search carefully for it . . . and when people asked her why she did search outside the house for the coin when she had lost it inside, she did answer them and say, "The light is better here; that is why I would rather search outside than in."

And behold . . . 
There was a man who had two sons, the younger of whom did ask for his share of the estate, did receive it, and did leave for a far-off country. But when his neighbors asked the man if he was troubled by the absence of his younger son, he did speak unto them and say, "A fifty-percent retention rate is well-above average -- and besides, I'm sure he will be back when he has children."

No comments: