Sunday, October 05, 2014

This week's lesson (October 4-10): the perfecting of our faith

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything -- James 1:2-4, NIV.
How difficult could it be?

I'd already done the Bloomsday Run a half-dozen times or so -- that's 7.46 miles . . . so when my eldest daughter suggested I try a half-marathon,

I agreed.
  • It was only 13.1 miles, after all.
  • That's less than twice the distance of the Bloomsday Runs I'd already done.
  • And just as everyone is brave (until they're in battle), everyone is smart (until they take Geometry), and everyone is good-looking (until they have a photo taken for their driver's license), I though I was fit enough to finish a half-marathon . . .
And I was.

Barely.

But as James notes, trials (and half-marathons) are a reality-check; they are a quick way to strip away any illusions we had about ourselves -- and as such, they have a nasty way of reminding us just how much we lack, just how much we need, and just how far we still have to go.

In short, they remind us that we still need a Savior.

And that's not always an easy thing to do.


No comments: