Sunday, October 19, 2014

This week's lesson (October 18-24): being and doing

What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead -- James 2:14-17, NIV.
Maybe I'd get more done if I cared less.

Like all good right-thinking people, you see, I am concerned -- deeply concerned -- about a number of issues.

Like nuclear proliferation.

The growing prevalence of diabetes.

The increasing fragility of blue-collar families in this country.

The acidification of our oceans.

And world peace.

Unfortunately, I've never really done anything about any of these things -- not because I don't care, you understand. No, I care about them all -- so much so, that it's difficult to pick just one; so much so that I really don't know where to begin.

Then again, the people who get stuff done -- the people who actually make things better?

They don't seem to care about all the things I do. No, they focus on one or two issues -- one or two things they really care about . . .

Like nuclear proliferation.

The growing prevalence of diabetes.

The increasing fragility of blue-collar families in this country.

The acidification of our oceans.

Or even world peace.

But whatever it is, they devote all their time and thought and money to that one, small issue . . .

And ignore all the rest.

To be sure, they don't have my breadth of concern; no, I care about about a lot more things than they do.

But when it comes to getting things done?

Who cares what I think?

No comments: