Tuesday, July 22, 2014

This week's lesson: salvation

It's easy to get lost.

It's staying lost that's difficult.

Just one wrong turn, after all -- just one moment's inattention -- is all it takes to send me into terra incognita . . .

But once there, I will persist for hours in the belief that:
  • I know where I'm going.
  • I recognize that landmark.
  • And no, I don't need to stop and look at a map.
It's not easy to do this, you understand. No, it takes constant effort to ignore that gnawing feeling that I'm on the wrong track, that I should turn around and start over, that my wife was right when she said we should have turned left.

But when you're a guy, you make that effort.

Likewise, turning away from God may be easy . . .

But staying away is not -- not when you have a God who is continually trying to get you back. No, you need to keep pretending that everything is going just the way you wanted it to go . . .

And you need to keep ignoring that feeling that maybe it is not.

But when the time comes that you stop making that effort -- that you stop working so hard to stay lost . . .

That's when you discover just how much God's been working to save you.

You see, we're not saved by our works.

No, we're saved by God's works.

And that's true, even before we are saved.

No comments: