Tuesday, May 06, 2014

This week's lesson: Christ's death and the law

It always looks easy on the map.

Always.

Ask how to drive from my house (in Oregon) to my eldest daughter's house (in Alabama), for instance, and Google will spit out the answer in seconds: east on I-84 to I-80, I-80 get you to I-29, I-29 hands off to I-70, then add I-57, I-24, I-65 . . . and in just 40-hours, you're there.

Simple.

Likewise, it's not that difficult to come up with a "map" to a wonderful life. The Torah offers one; so does Buddhism's Noble Eight-fold Path. And grocery-store check-outs are full of magazines that promise quick and easy ways to lose weight, eliminate clutter, and raise wonderful children (who will all be thin and clutter-free).

Simple.

But if you've ever been on a road-trip, then you know that following a map can be . . . interesting. Yes, there will be detours, breakdowns, misunderstandings (both intentional and inadvertent), and long stretches of road that will make you feel like turning back.

Always.

That's why a map is not enough -- any map, whether it be AAA or the Torah.

Yes, that's why you need someone to ride along.

No comments: