Tuesday, March 18, 2014

This week's lesson: the harvest and the harvesters

There's nothing more dangerous than someday.

As in: "Someday, I'll get my act together. Someday, I'll follow God. Yes, someday, I'll find a way to bless my neighbor . . .

"But not today."

And if anybody had the right to say, "someday," then it would be Jesus.

You'll find the story in John 4: Jesus is on the run from the Pharisees -- and this has led him through the kind of neighborhood where you roll-up your car's windows and lock the doors. Even his request for a drink of water is met with scorn; "I thought people like you," he's told, "don't have anything to do with people like us."

Yes, if there was ever a place where things right now weren't looking so good, it was the town of Sychar in Samaria -- and if I'd been Jesus, then I'd have said this was the kind of place that someday else should try to reach . . .

Someday.

But Jesus doesn't wait for someday; instead, he finds a way to reach people right now. That's why the people who'd been so hostile in Sychar end up begging him to stay.


And that's why, even there in Samaria, Jesus could tell his followers

Don’t you have a saying, ‘It’s still four months until harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest (John 4:35, NIV).
There's no need to wait, in other words; there's no need for delay. No, when it comes to sharing God's love . . . 

Now would be a good time.

No comments: