Wednesday, December 25, 2013

This week's lesson: exhortations from the sanctuary

There are some places you just don't go.

When I was in school, for instance, the one place that was strictly off-limits in that building was the teacher's lounge. This was the places teachers hung-out when they weren't in the classroom; there they'd grade papers, drink bad coffee, and swap jokes about the School Board . . . 

Or so I was told. I'd never actually been in the teacher's lounge; no student had. And the reports of what happened to students who had even so much as knocked on its door meant that we all steered clear of that lounge!

So you can imagine my thoughts when I knocked on that door.

And you can imagine my thoughts when the door opened, and I was invited inside.

And no, I had no right to be there -- no more than we have the right to "come boldly" into the presence of God.

But my mother taught in that school. She had told me to meet her there. And because of her, I was welcomed to a place that I had no right to be.
Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need (Hebrews 4:14-16, NIV).

No comments: