Tuesday, August 27, 2013

This week's lesson: reformation (part one)

There are two things I wish for my church:
1. I wish it was a church where anyone could come, and everyone was welcome -- a place where rich and poor, Republicans and Democrats, gays and straights, fundamentalists and fuzzy liberals could all gather around God's throne.  
2. I wish my church offered a radical alternative to the status quo -- that it wasn't just another social club, but a place where people could get a taste of what heaven will be like. In short, I wish it's people were holy, even as the Lord is holy. 
Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a way to get both wishes. A church that accepts everybody, after all, is a church full of hypocrites -- but a church that doesn't is full of Pharisees.

Ecclesia semper reformans, semper reformanda, said the Protestant Reformers -- "the church is always reformed, and always in need of reformation."

And if that's true of my church . . .

Then how much more is it true of me?

1 comment:

Ansku said...

I am so pleased that you are blogging again!