Thursday, August 26, 2010

Odds & Ends

  • Blue skies. Warm weather. Yup, things turned nice, just in time for the beginning of school.
  • I am puzzled by this week's Sabbath School lesson on Romans 8. A chapter about God's grace in the face of human suffering has become a pep talk -- one that says little more than "Jesus will help us try harder." Just as a suggestion, try including verses 18ff in this week's discussion; they add a lot (even though the quarterly did not think them worth mentioning).
  • I love what Eugene Peterson says about the Psalms of Ascent in his book, A Long Obedience in the Same Direction. Unfortunately, I'm not finding anything in this book that I can use in a sermon . . . so I guess I'll just have to read it for my own benefit. (Sigh.)
  • I don't know anything that causes more headaches (and heartaches) than our local church's Student Assistance Fund (i.e. the program that grants scholarships to our local SDA school). I guess it's one of those things where you do it, not because it makes you feel good, but because it's the right thing to do.
  • And I'll close with this quote from the United States Marine Corps: "If you want it bad, then you get it bad."

1 comment:

Bill A said...

Puzzled by the comment about the student aid.... I'm the chairperson of our fund (we call ours Worthy Student). There's few things in life that I feel better about than getting some of our children into Christian schools, who otherwise wouldn't have been able to go. It's great!