Monday, March 29, 2010

Odds & Ends

  • This is the time of year that gray whales migrate north past the Oregon Coast. The good news is that I finally took time to go look for them. The bad news is that the storms we'd had this past week meant they'd moved offshore a couple of miles . . . which made them very hard to see. Stupid whales.
  • Something to consider the next time you preach on the parable of the talents -- the annual revenue of Herod Antipas from his tetrarchy was 200 talents; the annual revenue of Herod Agrippa I from all Palestine was 2,000 talents.
  • I'd avoided C. S. Lewis' Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer because I thought it nothing more than a collection of letters. As it turns out, the joke is on me -- the book is an "epistolary essay," i.e. like the Screwtape Letters, Lewis deals with a topic by giving us one side of an imaginary correspondence. And yes, it works . . . though I'm having a hard time figuring out just how necessary his Platonic views are to his apologetics.
  • And I'll close with this quote from Miroslav Volf: "To make a difference, one must be different."

    No comments: