Sunday, February 07, 2010

Odds & Ends

  • Blue skies and temperatures in the low 50s -- with any luck, this is the start of that week or so of good weather we usually get this time of year, i.e. "The Thaw."
  • By the power vested in me as the author of this blog, I declare February to be "Super Simple Month." As defined by unclutterer, this means no new projects, no big events, no major purchases -- just stay home, hunker down, and catch up. (h/t to Lifehacker)
  • The Scots drink more alcohol than anyone else in the world -- and as the New York Times notes, the effects are only worse when they add caffeine to the mix.
  • If you were to pick one book that every Adventist pastor should read this year so that we could get together and talk about it at Campmeeting, then what would it be?
  • I finally broke down and bought the SDA Bible Commentary on CD -- and yes, I spent the extra $20 to get the complete writings of Ellen White as well. And while I agree that nothing will ever replace real books, I must admit I'm using the CD version more than I ever did the hardbacks.
  • According to the Boston Globe, three things make it easy to believe something is true: repetition, clarity, and simplicity. (What does this suggest about preaching?)
  • And I'll close with this quote from John Malin: "The secret of a long life is to contract an incurable disease at an early age, and then look after oneself."

No comments: