Tuesday, February 02, 2010

More Odds & Ends

  • We've had both sunshine and rain this past week -- and the weather's been about the same.
  • It's easier to fire teachers than pastors -- but thanks to local subsidies and lower salaries, my back-of-the-envelope figures suggest you need to fire three teachers to equal the savings of firing one pastor. So . . . if a Conference needs to cut staff (and if it has already fired all the obvious people), then how should it divide the cuts between teachers and pastors? 
  • I believe that some of the best books being written about the costs of following God in a fallen world are the novels of John le Carre. Case in point: A Most Wanted Man.
  •  Anytime people tell me they love God but they don't like organized religion, I just steal a line from Sneakers and say, "Actually, it's not that organized."
  • And I'll close with this quote from John Wooden: "Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

No comments: