Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dare to Putter

The last few months have been busy. Crazy busy. Oh-my-goodness-why-did-I-ever-say-I'd-do-this? busy.

Which can be kind of fun. Not only did it mean I got a lot of stuff done, but it gave me bragging rights with other pastors. (And have you ever noticed how often we try to justify our existence by carefully explaining just how busy we've been lately?)

But not this week. No, this week I can breathe in. Relax. Putter around the office. Read that stack of magazine articles that have been accumulating by my desk. And avoid that nagging feeling there's something important I really should be doing right now.

Because what I'm doing right now is important -- in fact, it's a process I compare to gardening.

For the last few months, you see, I've been planting, growing, harvesting; yes, it's been go, go, go, do, do, do, and rush, rush, rush.

Nothing wrong with that.

But now it's time to sharpen tools. Look through seed catalogs. Turn over the compost heap. And do all the other things that help me plan-without-planning for that next busy time.

In short, the work of Creation will go on.

But as for now, I'm enjoying a Sabbath.

No comments: