Sunday, January 17, 2010

Odds & Ends

  • "It was Sunday, and it was raining, and it was Oregon" -- John Steinbeck's Travels With Charley.
  •  For the past month, I've given my Bible commentaries a rest -- I just read the text, spend the week thinking about it, and write my sermon on Friday. I wouldn't do this all the time (or with every text), but thus far, it's been a nice change.
  • The New Republic magazine has always been famous for its book reviews; I'm enjoying the way it has expanded this section online with The Book.
  • No, I haven't seen Avatar; I did not see Titanic either. And I'm not watching either movie until James Cameron apologizes for the way he ended The Abyss.
  • My wife and I spent the first part of this week in Astoria, watching ships sail up the Columbia River. Best place for conversation: The Astoria Coffeehouse
    • And I'll close with this quote from George Burns: "I'd rather be a failure at something I enjoy than be a success at something I hate."

    1 comment:

    Renee said...

    Pat Robertson is a very sick man we should pray for him, you should go see the whales they are very intuitive animals along with dolphins,Avaatar & Titanic both are great movies I never saw the AByss,
    & George Burns rocked.