Sunday, January 10, 2010

Odds & Ends

  • Here on the Oregon Coast, the skies may be gray but it's stopped raining, and the forecast calls for temperatures in the mid-50s!
  • The emergent church is dead, Willow Creek is rethinking, and Rick Warren has stopped wearing Hawaiian shirts. As a result, I'm fast running out of places where I can go to steal ideas!
  •  Did I mention we're expecting temperatures in the mid-50s today?
  • Solid writing, careful attention to the text, helpful applications -- don't tell anybody, but I'm actually enjoying this year's devotional, Snapshots of God, by Richard Coffen.
  • Take the number of active church members you have, and divide it by fifty -- if my experience is any guide, that's roughly the number of funerals you can expect in a year.
  • Sure feel sorry for all those people at the Seminary who won't be enjoying temperatures in the mid-50s today!
  •  We've been doing Exodus in the Bible class I teach; our final exam was to compare the text's picture of Moses with the one in Prince of Egypt. Bottom line: todays' consumers want a young, emo Moses with a sassy-but-beautiful sidekick. Coming up next: the story of Samson gets a happy ending!
  • Don't expect a post on Tuesday -- I'll be celebrating the 273rd-birthday of John Hancock.
  • And yes, it's so much easier to celebrate these things when you're enjoying temperatures in the mid-50s on the Oregon Coast.
  • And I'll close with this quote from Colin Powell: "You can't make someone else's choices. You shouldn't let someone else make yours."

No comments: