Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gray whales

Looks like I missed the gray whales.

Again.

Every year, they migrate south from the Gulf of Alaska down to Mexico -- and every Christmas, tourists come from hundreds of miles to the Oregon coast, where they can watch the whales swim by. It is a beautiful, magnificent sight . . .

Or so I am told -- but even though I live less than half a mile from the beach, I've never bothered to go look for myself. It's not that I have anything against the whales. One of these days, as a matter of fact, I fully intend to take a look.

But as the New York Times pointed out in a recent article, the world is full of wonderful things that we never quite get around to doing.

Because we're busy.

And we're sure that we'll have more time to enjoy them tomorrow. Or the day after. Or someday . . . soon. Really. We promise.

But if there's one thing I've learned from twelve years of not watching whales, it's that God's blessings can pass right on by unless we take time to notice and enjoy them.

Yes, this is the day the Lord has made.

Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Today.

No comments: