Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Give a goat for Christmas!

This year, I've asked my church members to buy me a goat for Christmas -- and not just any goat.

No, I want a real, live, go-to-school goat from the Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA).

That's because one of the best ways to lift people out of poverty is to make sure girls go to school. But in the west African country of Niger, only 37-percent of girls are enrolled in primary school; the rest are kept home to work on family farms.

So ADRA came up with the idea of giving families in Niger a goat if (and only if) they send their girls to school.

It's a great plan -- but one goat (plus training the family to take care of it) costs $65.

That's where my church comes in. This December, I've asked members to write a check to our church, drop it in an offering envelope, mark it "Pastor's Goat Fund," and drop it in the offering. At the end of the month, we'll take the money that came in and write a check to ADRA.

And no, you don't need to write a check to my church to help. You can get in touch with ADRA directly -- or better yet, why not ask your church to do something similar?

No comments: