Thursday, September 10, 2009

This week's lesson: I John

Some of John's church members were not very happy with him.

I can relate.

In addition to pastoring a two-church district, I also teach two Bible classes at our local SDA high school. This means I get to talk about fun stuff (like love and grace and the seven last plagues); it also means I spend a lot of time hassling my students about not-so-fun stuff (like footnotes, missing class, and why it is not acceptable to write papers in glittery-pink ink).

And no, I don't fuss about this kind of stuff because I'm an obsessive-compulsive control-freak who loves to make my students miserable . . .

Though that may be part of it.

But I want my students to become the adults God wants them to be -- and letting them do whatever seems like a good idea at the time isn't always a good way to do this.

To paraphrase Monsters, Inc. -- "if I glare, it's because I care."

Likewise, it's clear from John's epistle that he had a long list of Things He Would Not Tolerate.

And every time he warned them against the world, the flesh, and the devil, I'm sure his church members would fidget and complain and mutter to each other that John just wasn't being very nice.

Okay, so maybe he wasn't -- maybe John wasn't always a fun guy to be around.

But looking back, nobody could doubt that John loved them.

Can they say the same about us?

1 comment:

richies said...

That the touchy part. Warning folks about the world, and still showing love.

An Arkies Musings