Tuesday, September 15, 2009

If I'd known then what I know now . . .

"We are too soon old and too late smart" -- but if I could go back to the 1980s and begin my ministry all over again, here are seven things I'd do different (and seven I'd do the same):

Seven things I wish I'd done:
  1. Prayed more.
  2. Worried less.
  3. Kept up on my Greek and Hebrew.
  4. Learned Spanish.
  5. Gotten more exercise.
  6. Started saving $$$ on a regular basis.
  7. Taken all my vacation time (and all my days off).
Seven things I'm glad I did:
  1. Went camping with my family as often as I did.
  2. Read at least one book per week.
  3. Kept a journal.
  4. Taught high school Bible classes.
  5. Audited the seminary's continuing education classes.
  6. Took three year's leave-of-absence to work on a doctorate in history (even if I didn't finish it.)
  7. Learned how to preach the Bible's stories (and not just its doctrines).

No comments: