Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Things I should not have learned in school

One of the bad habits they teach us in school is to answer questions.

So when a church member raises an issue like the impact of gay marriage on global warming (or vice versa), my immediate response is to raise my hand and shout, "Pick me! Pick me! I know the answer to that one!"

Now in the classroom, this worked.

But in counseling? Board meetings? Or casual conversations?

Not a good idea.

No, I'm slowly learning there are times when the best way to deal with a question is to take a deep breath . . . count to four . . . exhale . . . and say something like, "Interesting question -- why do you ask?"

Back when I was in school, after all, success came from knowing the answers.

But now, it often comes from making sure I understand the questions.

1 comment:

Ansku said...

So essential, but so difficult to learn...