Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Odds & Ends

  • Back in the days before air-conditioning, the Oregon Coast was a popular way to beat the summer heat; people came here precisely because it was cool in July. Like today, for instance -- 60-degrees and cloudy. (Oh well, at least it's stopped raining.)
  • Rosanne Leipzig did a nice Opinion piece in The New York Times on on the fact that most physicians are not trained to deal with the special needs of elderly patients. So . . . how much training did you get as a pastor about the special needs of elderly church members -- and to whom could you go in the Conference office if you had questions? (My answer: "none," and "no idea.")
  • I preached last Sabbath on Jeremiah 29 -- I'd planned on talking about praying for people who don't deserve it (viz. Jeremiah 29:7), but ended up talking about our need to "grow where we're planted." One more example of Scripture's continuing ability to surprise me.
  • It's the end of the fiscal year, and it looks as though there was good news and bad news viz. giving in my local church. Good news: over-all giving was about the same as we'd budgeted. Bad news: members put more money than we'd budgeted into Student Assistance -- and they did so by putting less into Combined Budget. Despite the recession, in other words, my members still have money to give -- but their perception of our church's needs has changed.
  • The Oregonian reports on a Lancet study that shows alcohol consumption doubled in Russia back in 90s -- and as a result, it was responsible for more than half the deaths of Russian adults between the ages of 15 to 54 (roughly 3 million deaths in all). Worldwide, alcohol is responsible for a little less than 4-percent of all deaths.
  • And I'll close with this quote from General Tony Zinni: "You cannot lead those you do not love."

2 comments:

rickpeinado said...

What is the source of your most interesting quotes. I completely agree that we must love people in order to lead them!

Pastor Greg said...

That one's from Zinni's biography. Just about all of my quotes come from book's I've read -- if I run across something interesting, I write it down in a notebook I keep for this purpose.