Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Review: The New International Reader's Version of the Bible, narrative and illustrated edition

Over the years, I've tried a number of Bible translations in my baptismal classes -- the New International Version, the New King James Version, the Contemporary English Version -- but the one I keep coming back to is the New International Reader's Version.

Written at a fourth-grade reading level, it's easy enough for children (and most adults) to understand. It's accurate enough my purposes. And you can order it by the case from the International Bible Society.

My only complaint was the layout: double-rows of type that were just a little small for the eyes of young readers -- and no pictures.

That's been solved with a new edition of the NIRV: the narrative and illustrated version. Laid out (for the most part) like a novel with a single row of type, it's easier to read -- and the addition of color pictures does make invite new readers to look through it and see what they can find.

I've been using this edition of the NIRV for my baptismal classes this year, and the kids love it.

What's more, so does my church's treasurer -- at just $4.88 each if you buy a case of ten, this is not just one of the best Bibles out there for an evangelistic series or baptismal class, it's also the cheapest.

No comments: