Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Three wishes: Praise Bands


If praise bands gave three wishes, here's what I'd ask for:

1. Please start with a song I know.
Okay, later on you can teach me the Celtic version of "The Old Rugged Cross" as sung by Bono (and scored for bagpipes, didgeridoo, and harpsichord). But if you start with something I know, then I might sing along with you -- and once you have me singing, I might even continue.

2. Please proofread your PowerPoint presentation.
Blame my days as a magazine editor, but one typo is all it takes to throw me off my stride. (And no, you can't trust Spellcheck!) For example:
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.

I once was lost, but now am found,

Was bland, but now I see.
3. Please don't make big changes in the middle of a song.
If this was a concert, you could change key, volume, or tempo in the middle of a song, and I would applaud you for your artistry. But do this while you're leading a song service, and you'll confuse me -- and when I'm confused, I stop singing.

Oh yes -- and if I get a bonus wish, could you please not do "Here I am to worship" until you figure out how it ends? Thank you.

No comments: