Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Taste and see that the Lord is good

One of the things I like about Costco is its snack bar – especially because it offers free refills on all drinks.

Not that I ever got a free refill myself. No, even though a big, blue-and-white sign promised “free refills” – and even though Costco had never broken a promise it made to me . . .

I always felt there had to a catch.

I always knew this was too good to be true.

And I always believed I would get into all kinds of trouble if I tried to get a “free” refill – no matter what kind of promises were made.

That’s why I always paid for my drink. Drank what I’d paid for. And left.

Even if I wanted more.

Last week, however, I was thirsty – really thirsty, even after I’d finished my drink. So I went back to the snack bar and looked at the sign again.

Yes, it did say “free refills.”

What’s more, I saw somebody go back for a refill – and nobody said he didn’t deserve it. Nobody asked him for to pay for it. Nobody said he was taking advantage of Costco’s generosity.No, he just went over to the fountain and got it.

So lately, I’ve been wondering: do you think that snack bar at Costco really means what it says about “free”?

And if that’s true of refills at Costco . . .

Then what else have I been missing?

No comments: