Friday, April 24, 2009

Friday's Odds & Ends

  • Have you looked at lifehacker? It's a kind of Hints from Heloise for hackers and techies. Granted, about 95% of its links go completely over my head -- I mean, who is Ubuntu, and why does he keep getting released? -- but the other 5% are pure gold.
  • Moderate drinking may cut your risk of heart disease -- but it turns out that it may also increase the risk of cancer in women. That's why The Washington Post notes:
. . . [dietary] guidelines were never intended to recommend that anyone drink for his or her health. Yes, it's true that studies have indicated that moderate drinking may cut the risk of heart disease and other ailments. And researchers have identified a substance in red wine (remember resveratrol?) that could offer a host of benefits.

But officials have long worried about sending the wrong message, giving people who take extraordinary risks if they drink -- young people, pregnant women, those prone to alcoholism -- permission to abuse alcohol. As a result, officials have long tried to walk a fine line between acknowledging the possible benefits of alcohol and encouraging people to start drinking or to abuse it. The guidelines were intended to set an upper limit on what might be safe, not a recommended daily dose.
  • I'm thinking of adapting the Los Angeles Conservancy's driving tour of spiritual landmarks for Oregon. They promise to help you "discover five historic sites related to spiritual organizations that took root in Los Angeles in the early part of the twentieth century." Question: if you put together a similar tour for your area, what would it include?
"Let everyone understand that real love of God does not consist in tear-shedding, nor in that sweetness and tenderness for which we long just because they console us, but in serving God with justice, fortitude of soul, and humility."

No comments: