Monday, March 02, 2009

Things I've learned: DIY business cards

I hate business cards.
  • They're too small for me to write much of a note on the back.
  • They're too small (and drab) to get notice when I do write a note on the back and leave it on a hospital patient's bedside table (which is how most of my business cards get used).
  • And my personal information changes often enough, there's always something on the card that needs correcting -- a cell phone number or email address.
That's why I started making my own.
  • I bought some 3x5 index cards in a nice, bright, florescent green. (I use cards that are lined on one side and blank on the other -- this makes it easier for me to write notes -- but you can use blank cards too.)
  • I laid out what I wanted on my card, using the "index card" setting on Microsoft Publish.
  • Then I ran off a dozen cards (which is enough to last me a month or so).
Elegant? No -- though I'm sure a designer could come up with something nice.

But practical? Yes.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Good tips on saving money by creating your own cards.

It is not always necessary to spend a fortune on marketing yourself.