Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday's Odds & Ends

A tip from somebody who's gone through chemotherapy: if you're visiting someone who's being treated for cancer, don't wear anything scented (i.e. aftershave, perfume, or even some hair-conditioners). Chemo makes some people sensitive to smells. (And by "sensitive," I mean "gut-wrenchingly nauseated.")

Slightly disturbing fact: There are now 150 million people on Facebook. Seven million are between the ages of 35 and 54.

More nominees for the Betamax Awards (i.e. great ideas that don't work out in practice):
  • Spiritual gift inventories: It turns out that everybody has the gift of hospitality -- and nobody's been given the gift of teaching the Earliteen Sabbath School Class. And I'm still puzzled by the fact that, the last time I took one of these things, I was told I have "the gift of martyrdom."
  • Seminars that tell you how to receive the Holy Spirit: Why can't I attend one of these without thinking of Acts 8:9-24?
  • Bruce Wilkinson's The Prayer of Jabez: Great prayer -- but somehow, it always gets shortened down to "gimmee."
Don't forget -- the deadline to nominate something for a Betamax Award is Tuesday, March 31.

Finally, a quote from Eric Hoffer:
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.

4 comments:

richies said...

Another possible award could go to Vegan cooking schools. If a unsaved person becomes a vegan how is their salvation affected?

An Arkies Musings

Pastor Greg said...

We've actually had some people start attending church because of vegan cooking schools -- not because of veganism per see, but because of the friends they made while attending.

As John Duge taught me in Seminary, "Anything that gives people a chance to make friends with your church members can be evangelism."

Hanan Merrill said...

Just curious, why do you consider the number of people on Facebook disturbing?

Pastor Greg said...

Mainly because I'm no longer able to write off Facebook as the time-wasting hobby of a few kids with way too much time on their hands.

I mean, I can remember when learning how to type was a major step for anyone who wasn't planning to be a secretary.

Now I need to learn how to text . . . and to Twitter . . . and to run my own social networking site -- and if I don't, then I'm consigned to the ranks of aging has-beens who can't keep up with technology.

Sigh.

Makes me wonder why I even bothered to invent fire!