Monday, March 16, 2009

Don't forget the contest!

Nominations are still open for the Betamax Awards, i.e. ideas that looked a lot better in Leadership magazine than they did in my church. Recent entries include:
  • Promotional sermons from Signs of the Times, Liberty magazine, and the Ellen G. White Estate: I don't mind "borrowing" other people's work -- but could you please give me something worth borrowing?
  • Natural Church Development Evaluations: Why should I pay you to tell me what's wrong with my church when I have church members who will do it for free?
  • Programmable thermostats: We used to turn up the heat when we came to church, and turn down the heat when we left. Then we installed one of these -- and in three weeks, it had been re-set, re-programmed, and over-ridden so many times by well-meaning church members that it had the electronic equivalent of a nervous breakdown. So now we're back to turning up the heat when we come to church, and turning it back down when we leave.
Remember: contest ends on Tuesday, March 31.

No comments: