Thursday, February 21, 2008

I miss the future!

Hat-tip to boingboing for its link to postcards from the 1962 Seattle World's Fair.

I attended the fair when I was five-years-old; I remember being awed and fascinated by its predictions of "Life in the 21st-century" -- predictions of a world in which:
  • people traveled to work by monorail,
  • dined on synthetic protein,
  • and thought purple, orange, and turquoise were all perfectly normal colors to paint a house.
Sigh.

Years later, I attended a church conference that was held just a few blocks from the site of the fair -- a conference in which a famous futurist confidently predicted just exactly what the next few decades had in store for us all.

Nobody else caught the irony.

(Click on the title of this post for a link to the postcards.)

No comments: